Sunday, May 19, 2013

Blog 25: Mentorship


    Literal
Interpretive
    I feel I am very lucky to have had this mentorship. I have seen and had hands on experienced with what it is like to work with plants, that not only native to the United States, but from places such as Africa, Australia, and, Japan. I had the pleasure to propagate plants in a green house and water and care for them. Although it was and is a lot of work, I still enjoyed the hands on experience. I also took pleasure in working at the mentorship office with Ivonne, because with out her giving me a volunteer position I would most likely not be able to work with plants. I had the opportunity to talk with and meet many people that had such an interest and an immense knowledge about plants and I am thankful that they shared information with me as well. 
   Applied
     Since I had the pleasure of talking and networking their, I always had someone to interview. Durning these interview, it would help lead me to an answer or give me some ideas on what to research next. My interviews helped me with my answers. I feel my third interview was the best because it cleared my doubt about my second answer.
     Also, getting a chance to see hands on how my two answers (planning a garden and healthy soil) can really benefit a garden. At the Arcadia Arboretum we are not allowed to plant flowers with out checking the soil and planning out the flower type and its needs. If someone neglects to do so, the plant usually dies or is discolored due to the fact of a lack of nutrients. We are constantly composting and adding it to our soil to make sure it is at the upmost condition. 
At the arboretum, the gardeners always plan out the garden to see where they will plant the flowers, vegetables, or trees before actually doing so. They take into consideration of the sun location, the space, and the season. They never plant flowers without considering those things. Seeing how my two answers was applied in the arboretum really gave me the confidence that was needed when researching my answers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment