Sunday, May 12, 2013

Blog 24: Exit Interview Questions


1) My essential question is, “what is the best way to grow a healthy, organic flower garden?” My best answer to my eq is maintaining and knowing your soil condition to preserve a healthy garden. Through out my senior project I have read multiple articles by horticulture college professors, an example being James Bauder the professor of university of Minnesota. All of these articles explained in great detail that in order to have a successful garden, of any sort, you must start with the soil. Each flower has different needs, such as a child, and you as a gardener must protein to each need. Certain plants, like catus for example, need soil with great drainage, which is why they prosper in sand. But, most flower, like sunflowers or roses, prosper in soil full of nutrients. If you do not know how to maintain healthy soil or do not know what soil you are working with, you could cause avoidable problems. Gardeners that do not know what soil they are working with, will most likely plant flowers in the wrong soil causing the plant not to grow at all or be unhealthy.
2) When it came to arriving to this answer I was kind of lucky. I did not have any answers at the time of doing my science experiment but while researching my science component, I stumbled upon my answer. My science experiment was centered around an issue that horticulturists and farmers have to deal with, this is salinated soil. Salinated soil, according to the author of organic gardening Pauline Pears, is a condition where soil contains too much salt thus absorbing all the nutrients and water from the soil making it unusable. While researching salinated soil, I quickly discovered how important soil is to gardening, but is the thing often overlooked. According to the creator of the green bent movement, a non profit organization, dirt is our most precious mineral because with out it we would have nothing. Although it seemed obvious before that soil is needed I didn’t have an appreciation for it until researching and seeing the effects of my experiment.
3) During 1st semester I had mentorship at the Arcadia Arboretum but I did not work with plants at all because I did not have their trust yet. But, luckily for me, they finally let me work with plants after helping out at the membership office after a couple months of working there, which was around December.
4) My two important sources are, The Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening by Pauline Pears and my 3rd interview with Frank McDonald. The book (organic), was a book I checked out of the library at Cal Poly and really helped me a lot. It gave me most the knowledge about my first answer and even gave me the idea of my second answer, planning a garden. The 3rd interview gave me reassurance about my 2nd answer because I was not sure if it was valid enough.  
5) My product for my senior topic is definitely appreciation for nature in a way I haven’t before. As a child I never liked nature and viewed it as dirty and gross.  But, doing my independent components made me appreciate it much more as well as my mentorship. I had the chance to work with plants that were not native to the United States and grew them however I wanted at mentorship. I saw them as controlled and now beautiful. Then growing my own plants at home for my IC on my own was also a great experience. Taking the time out of my day was never tedious to grow my own plants, but rather a way to relax and have some time of my own. Another product I have would be that the superintend of the arboretum said since I have been volunteering since June I can most likely get a job their more than anyone else that applies.  

No comments:

Post a Comment